Monday

Confessions Of A Copywriter

This is a little book about how I first got into advertising. It starts out with items I sent to Fallon McElligott in order to get an interview (i.e., a chance to show my portfolio).

In 1986, Fallon McElligott was the darling of the ad world, and it was right in my home town of Minneapolis. (Actually, I was born in Saint Paul.)





On the left: A charity-parody direct-response mailer I sent to some 400 people in the industry, with a reply coupon addressed to "Save the Agency." It got me lots of interviews in Minneapolis, Chicago and New York.
...and on the right, a form rejection letter (#1).


An "autographed" book, Pen of Midas, "by Tom McElligott." Sent to Mr. McElligott.


"Pen of Midas, or How I Found the Copywriter who Saved My Agency."
Page 2 is a door marked Fallon McElligott, Inc.


Page 3. Not actually a book, but a lavatory diorama.


The toilet roll reads: for a good copywriter, call...



Form rejection letter (#2).


The same week, the agency wins the coveted Lee account.
The next week, a box arrives at the agency, addressed to Mr. McElligott.


When the box is opened...


...balloons begin to inflate.
Eventually, they burst through the tracing-paper jeans and explode...


...powered by a hidden pump.
By finding and turning off the switch, one can keep the balloons from exploding. Inside with the pump...



...I included a cheeky note......and a reply card. This one worked. I got an interview, anyway. (At the time they had six writers, and hundreds of applicants a day.)






Entries in the Spy Magazine/Absolut Vodka ad contest, May 1988. I did the artwork as well as the copy.








"Absolut Beginner" took a third prize.



"Absolut Tango" took a second prize.That summer, I suddenly became interested in Japan. So I taught myself some Japanese, quit my job, and went there.


I worked in Tokyo as a copywriter from 1988 to 1991. Most of the work I did was for Hakuhodo, the second-biggest agency in Japan.
Then back to Minneapolis, and a few years later, Southern California.